The Friends of Nantasket Beach is a volunteer organization founded in 2019 with a mission to promote public use of Nantasket Beach in Hull, MA and to address quality of life and environmental issues related to the Beach.
We're just getting started...
The Friends of Nantasket Beach is a new volunteer-supported organization. If you visit the Beach and care about any issue concerning its current state or future, reach out! We'd love the help.
Friends of Nantasket Beach at a Glance
A Bit of Background
The Friends of Nantasket Beach is a new non-profit organization based in Hull, MA. We seek to partner with the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), the custodians of Nantasket Beach, as well as other government agencies, on Beach projects and events. We are a collection of volunteers committed to the preservation and improvement of the Nantasket Beach Reservation. We have no full-time staff and are completely volunteer supported and funded.
Source for map above: Nantasket Beach Reservation Master Plan (2016), DCR
Areas of Interest
Working to make Nantasket Beach a great and welcoming place for all!
Advocates for keeping a clean, well-maintained beach with a focus on water quality and ecology.
Ensuring the beach is easily accessible to all that are interested in using it, particularly for the elderly and disabled.
Working with local businesses and government stakeholders to make the Beach area attractive for visitors and investment.
Creating and maintaining recreational activities in and around the Beach area including play areas, water sports and regular events.
History of Nantasket Beach
The name "Nantasket" is derived from Wampanoag and means "at the strait" "low-tide place" or "where tides meet" as Hull is a peninsula. Nantasket was settled not long after Plymouth Colony and before Massachusetts Bay. Roger Conant was in the area after leaving the Plymouth Colony and before going to Cape Ann in 1625. Until Hull was incorporated in 1644, English settlers referred to the whole local region as "Nantasket Peninsula."
In 1825, Paul Warrick established "The Sportsman Hotel" on Nantasket Avenue. Later, more hotels were built and steamboats made three trips a day between Nantasket Beach and Boston in the 1840s. In 1905, an amusement area called Paragon Park was built adjacent to the beach. A carousel built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1928 was included. This was closed in 1984.
Today, the Nantasket Beach Reservation is owned and managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. Thousands of visitors each year enjoy visiting, especially in the summertime, for the long stretch of sandy beaches.
“In the country we never see a horizon; here it is so ample that the good clouds are never crowded for room, but float vast and multitudinous . . . "
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (letter from Nantasket Beach, July 8, 1841)